Monday, April 24, 2017

First Things: The Happiness of Resurgence

I love Spring.

Every day I walk around our yard checking on spots where we have perennials, hoping to see the start of their resurgence... coming back to life after the winter. When we first moved into the house in April, 2010 it was even more fun because we didn't know what was there. New surprises showed up every week.

Having been in the house for seven years there are still surprises... the hibiscus that planted itself along our sidewalk; beside our existing one and then showed us that it's pink instead of it's bigger, older neighbor's red; the rebirth of two Lilly bulbs I thought were for sure dead last year; and the abundance of these beautiful little weeds wherever we put down new soil last year around our fire pit patio. Although they are weeds, I quite enjoyed seeing them (all the same) spring up, shouting to the sun WE MADE IT!!! I think I'll leave a couple of them, in support of their fortitude.

And I have to say that I think that's what I love most about this time of year. The joy these plants, and trees, and even the grasses bring to the world - if only for themselves. They are happy to be back, happy to be alive, happy to be reborn.

Perhaps we should wake up each morning form our little winters with the same kind of joyful expectations - that it's a new day, a new time to unfurl our leaves and grow again - the same, but different, perhaps stronger or more beautiful than before.