It's no secret - car stuff always gets me down.
When I was in a pinch three years ago and had to get a car asap, I stepped out in faith that I'd be able to afford the lease on a new Fiat, wasn't sure about it, but moved ahead and got the car. There are many other circulstances that lead to that decision. I chose the positive path instead of being worried about money or what I was going to do at the end of the lease. A change for me because I am inherent worrier.
A few months later my mom started her final battle with cancer. The reliability and great gas mileage of my new car was an incredible blessing. Judith the Fiat and I made many trips to be with my mom and family through her final months with us. Since then, with only minor things (tires mostly), I've loved my little car. It fits me and my personality.
Now all of those miles have caught up with the lease and in the spirit of thankfulness, I'm now stuck in a rather unforgiving spot owing literally thousands of dollars in mileage. There is little understanding or grace from the dealership - an agreement is an agreement, I get that. But it goes against everything anyone I know who has had a lease told me. Everyone said "they'll work with you, don't worry," or "I was way over and they got me into a new lease for less than I was paying before." So I won't lie that I'm pretty bummed right now. I had to borrow money to pay the mileage overage, or put a downpayment on buying the car to keep my payments affordable - but then I will have this car for five more years without a warranty. One of the nice things has been not having to worry about repairs - I've lived through many of those... in fact I'm STILL paying off debt from several blown gaskets, transmission repairs, brake jobs, and even a full engine rebuild I had to have done to an 81 mustang.
So I'm pretty much back to where I was 3 years ago.
Making the positive choice was good back then. I believe that God rewards when we trust him. I just have to figure out what that path is now, and hope for a little understanding and grace from a dealer or two. OH... and a little wisdom because all of this stuff is really confusing. In the end I really am grateful to be in this position, to be fortunate to have been able to drive a car I really WANTED - and to be able to face my worst case scenario and borrow the money to end the lease in March and walk away without a car for a minute... But I'm pretty sure it won't come down to that.