A couple of weeks ago we were fortunate to host the Hamilton Educational program (EduHam) at work. This program is an eductional component of the blockbuster show. Detroit was even more fortunate in that we had a six week run of Hamilton and we're the hometown of its producer Jeffrey Seller, so we had TWO EduHam events. Between them, more than 3800 students participated and got to see this incredible show for $10 or less.
As part of the curriculum, students are required to create their own performance piece inspired by the story and production of Hamilton. Nearly 20 students at each performance were chosen to present their original piece on stage at the Fisher Theatre in front of 2,000 of their peers. High School me would have freeked out if I was chosen to do this. It would have been a monumental, life-changing event.
These kids told fear to take a hike and the audience supported them 1000%. Some of them turned in amazing performances, others were less polished but they did it and everyone cheered. EVERYONE CHEERED. It was inspiring.
On the evening of the first EduHam, Go Comedy! hosted our annual awards event and one of our resident members won a special award. Receiving it, she talked about how Go was like a family to her - how she finaly found a place where people accepted her wierdness - our improv community accepted her.
We embrace, support, and build up each other's unique and diverse qualities - we are beautifully different and wonderful.
I grew up being taught that on many levels. Stories like Rudolph, Rudy, A Dog Named Kitty, etc. all taught me that we are all important - God made you different and special and he loves you. Be who he made you to be.
Interestingly for me, the one person in my life who pushed me away from that concept was my mom. Not in a bad way, but in a protective way.
I was a nerd, a bit of a geek. I got made fun of for it and I always wanted to fit in or be "popular." My mom knew how much I agonized about it - and when stuff came up that she knew I'd get flack for, she warned me - particularly if it was something that would cause ripples or embarrass me. Now that I'm an adult, I know that also meant - her.
It's an interesting lesson in how our parents often tried their best to protect us - but sometimes the best thing was not what they did. Their intent was - or seemed to them - to do good. Yet, now as adults we struggle with the unintended consequences of their choices.
But like those kids who faced fear head on, pushed through and received amazing support - we can push forward, do something we did not think was possible and break through our own barriers.
The ability to do that resides in all of us
The ability to support each other resides in all of us
The ability to accomplish great things belongs to all of us.