Sunday, September 06, 2020

Beyond our doings

 The past few days I’ve been thinking about what it means to live a life in forgiveness and grace. Particularly about the idea of what evil is when it doesn’t matter on an afterlife level. I obviously don’t have the answers. But today, my quiet time fell into this genre.

I landed in Galatians 3:1-6

This passage is about how people of faith cannot trust in their ability to follow the law for their salvation but rather in their faith that God has forgiven them thru Christ. 

We want to hold onto the idea that our goodness, our salvation, is connected to our doings so that we can judge our own righteousness by the acts of others. There is an evil satisfaction that we receive by casting judgement on others. 

In this idea I wonder how we should react with positivity that moves us toward good. It’s a challenge. We want to feel superior. We want to feel like we have it right, and we want others to agree that we are correct. 

Does that really matter? Does that affect anything for good?

Let us press on in our own lives in the knowledge and confidence that our worth lies beyond our doings. The worth of others lies beyond their doings. Our hearts are what matters. Let us make the best efforts to strengthen our hearts to love ourselves and others, and to look past our need to feel superior and to love doing good.