Is this the end of the world, or just the beginning?
This year is already kicking the shit out of me, but for the most part in a good way. We just opened American Idiot, Million Dollar Quartet is next week, followed by Love Loss and What I Wore, Rock of Ages and Shrek The Musical... BAM BAM BAM all while getting ready to announce our next season - which when I say is going to KICK ASS... I mean, it's really going to be an INCREDIBLE season. And I have Go Comedy! stuff (performing and doing PR), and my freelance PR I've picked up... so Scotty's rockin 2012 in busy fashion.
AND it's way too late and I have to be up earlier than normal tomorrow to meet Van Hughes (Johnny in American Idiot) and our publicist at WDET to do a web video of his radio performance for tomorrow's Craig Fahle show. Look for it on the Broadway In Detroit facebook and youtube pages tomorrow afternoon and of course listen to the best local radio show between 10 and 12 tomorrow!
But I have to make a few notes before crashing...
Tonight was the Detroit opening of American Idiot. We're only the 2nd city, the first in the US to get this tour. I love when that happens. Detroit, despite what you may think, is actually a good theatre town. The show got a standing ovation (two actually because of a clever little encore they do at the end). This cast puts their heart, soul, sweat and body into this show. Even if you're not a fan of the Green Day genre you can't help but applaud the sheer talent and energy exploding from the stage.
Yesterday we sent out a preview Email about the show and I got an Email back from someone who said "This is garbage." After a simple reply, he responded by going on a rant about how this musical is about numbing down the senses of people and brainwashing them into an anti government state, etc etc. He was also shocked by the photo we used to promote the show.... My response to folks like that is always... I know you will not like all of our shows, please, if you feel this way and know others who will feel the same, tell them not to come to the show. I'd rather have someone come and enjoy themself than come and be offended or not like the show. But I wanted to see the show before I responded.
Glad I did. This show is quite brilliant actually. Like Rent, it's a period piece of Tween angst at the start of the 21st century (rather than Rent's end of the 20th). And this show did something no other show or piece has done... It made a shockingly emotional connection for me to 9/11 than I have experienced from any other piece done about that day. During Wake Me When September Ends I found myself crying. I don't know if it was the song, the lyrics, or the staging, but somehow that moment was captured for me and I felt a sense of personal healing. It was a moment I yearn for in theatre... a moment that grips you, takes you deep into yourself, and changes you, heals, or helps you. Wonderful.
After the show we had a talk back with students from Mosaic Youth Theatre and then a cast party at Marios. Got to meet most of the cast and band. They rock. They were awesome with the students, so helpful, so insiteful and just great. I always love it when a cast is as friendly and genuine as they are talented. I hope we can get some good word of mouth for these guys while their here and give them a great 1-week run in the D. They deserve it. And so does the city.