Sunday, April 15, 2012

Thunder and rain

It's a rainy, thundery day. The kind of day that makes me think about the TV show Supernatural, like I expect some sort of demon or creature to waltz into my life and I have to rely on Sam & Dean Winchester to save me. Of course if Jared Padalecki and Jenson Ackles stopped by in real life, I wouldn't mind at all.

I have never been able to escape the lingering worlds of my favorite shows or movies. That's both why I love them so much and why I'm very particular on what movies I choose to see, and what shows I watch. They stick with me - for days, weeks, years.  I'm not sure whether it's because I love the fantasy, because I want to escape, or simply because I'm a creative imaginative person. Whatever it is I can't escape it.

I remember in elementary school, after seeing E.T. - the first movie I saw in a theatre, I proceeded to live in my own make believe world where I would foster an alien in my house and become famous.  I even told my best friend at the time that I was IN the movie and hung out with E.T.  I didn't realize it then, but now that I'm older... I was kind of a pathological liar as a child. I told my neighbor that I was going to lead a big band in the Pittsburgh holiday parade - I was 8 and didn't play an instrument. I told my pastor emphatically that plans were being laid to build a second story onto my elementary school... I even had the plans drawn up. And there was the time that I went door to door in my neighborhood selling this book of poetry I was going to write to raise money for my unemployed father.  I collected a lot of orders - and never made the books.  Thank God I didn't have people pre-pay!

I think all of this make-believe imagination is why I became an improviser, why I work in theatre, and why I love movies, stories, theatre, and great TV. I wrap myself up in the story until it follows me everywhere I go, and in my imagination there's always a Winchester brother there to rescue me.