Friday, November 04, 2016

First Things: Do Things Right Away

I have a written note on the dry-erase board in my office that says "DO THINGS RIGHT AWAY." It's in green at the top right corner.  It has been there for years. I should move it to the middle of the board so that I see it more frequently.

We prioritize things all of the time. We have to in order to be able to get things done and not miss deadlines. The most important things usually come first, right? Right? Well... Let's be honest. We do the things we like or we know aren't going to be difficult first. Be honest with yourself.

I do.

Which is why I have that written on my board.

If something is important - do it right away - no matter what it is or how much you like it.

Many years ago I heard a pastor give a teaching on communion just before administering it during a service. He was talking about his husband, who had passed away, and was fondly remembering his morning ritual. Each morning he would go to the kitchen and have a little communion all by himself with a cracker and juice, daily remembering the sacrifice and love of Christ before he started the day.

That inspired me to do the same... although I am no where near consistent on it. When I do, however, I often think of taking the bread, or cracker, or "host" as taking on the strength of Christ in me. He had the strength to go through a mockery of a trial, be whipped to near death and then hang on a cross for three hours and die a torturous death because he knew he had to.  If the strength of Christ can get him through that... it can help me call that person to ask about a past due invoice, or email someone for something, or freaking get up 10 minutes earlier.  It can enable me to DO THINGS RIGHT AWAY - for Christ's Sake (LITERALLY).

If you aren't the Christian faith-sort... find your own source of strength, that thing that empowers you, that emboldens you, and use that to DO THINGS RIGHT AWAY.  People push through much worse than what many of us face every day - sometimes just to live.  Whatever you've got, you can push through to do one thing you've put on the back burner and make an accomplishment beyond yourself.