Friday, November 18, 2016

First Things: Find your comfort zone

Comfort.

In circles talking about leadership and inspiration comfort is something that is occasionally given a bad rap. And it's true - we excel, grow, and succeed when we push ourselves out of our comfort zone. In many ways this is spot-on. You don't know what you can do until you challenge yourself.  The old adage "Do something that scares you..."

There is, however, much to be said for the down time. For the peace, for the rest.  While breaking out of our comfort zones in our profession, in our relationships, in our psyche - we also need to take time to FIND our comfort zone for renewal.

Bodybuilding is a process of exhaustion and rest, tear and heal, burn it up and cool it down.

I know that I spend a lot of time and effort worrying if I'm doing enough to push myself - I'm always thinking that I'm not doing enough... I'm not trying hard enough, I'm not pushing myself, I'm failing at this or that. And I forget to rest, to find a place of comfort.

We need healing, reflecting, and periods of quiet thankfulness for our ability to break out and succeed... or even to just appreciate who we are today.

Our comfort zones are part of our journey forward, do not neglect them.