Since the election of Donald Trump on Tuesday night i've been in a real stupor. Those of us on the left feel like hope died with the end of Hillary Clinton's campaign. Having just gone through a major loss this year, there are similar depths to the sting of this election. The weight of the fear that hangs over us is enormous.
I could keep going on the details of that, but it would not be a First Things blog ...
With the above in mind, last night I finally had a moment to work out. Walking back from the gym, I had my headphones in, but no music. I was just silently thinking and praying about our country and what is to come. I turned the corner to my street and looked up and saw him.
Orion
There he was, rising above the trees in the southeastern sky. And my heart skipped. I literally said out loud, "HEYYYYY!" It was an immediate, unfiltered, from the depths of my humanity, moment of child-like joy. I posted the moment to Facebook, because I needed to share some happiness.
Then I walked a bit more and saw him again as I passed a tree and came to my house.
And I started to cry. Not a sad cry. A good cry. The kind of cry you have when you receive a heavenly message that reminds you how everything is ok.
It was like God was saying through this silly constellation - "Hey, don't worry. I'm still here, watching over everything. I've got my bow and my quiver of arrows. It's going to be alright."
And then I started laughing at myself... At my ridiculous sappiness and that I was crying about seeing a favorite constellation in the sky. And how much I love those moments.
So I hope you find something that gives you child like joy today. Celebrate it. Enjoy it. Use it.