Tuesday, November 15, 2016

First Things: Movement of the heart

A friend of mine very recently lost his mother after a relatively sudden and quick bout with cancer.

He was telling us about preparing meals for his family and his mom as she was in her last days and how much joy it gave him to be able to do something for her that she had done for him.

I could relate.

During the week after my mom came home from the hospital and we were in hospice care I got to make several meals for her and for my dad and sister. Our aunt and uncle brought food as well and after she passed, other neighbors brought food and various other rather boring but necessary items to help us get by.

Being able to do such a simple thing to take care of my mom in her last days gave me a wonderful sense of joy and peace. And I know that she appreciated it, and even more that she felt how much we all loved her in those last days.

And I think that's the point.  We do not have to go to extreme lengths to show and receive love. A very simple act can allow us to move someone's heart. And welcoming even the most simple thing can allow our heart to be moved.